History

In 1978,the Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering,Shanghai Jiao Tong University was co-founded by Jiaotong University,the First Bureauof Shanghai Mechanical and Electrical Industries,the Second Bureauof Shanghai Mechanical and Electrical Industries,Shanghai Ship Building Bureau,East China Electric Power Administration,Shanghai Bureau of Transportation and Government of Changning District,Shanghai.

Also in 1978,The Branch of East China Institute of Textile Engineering was co-established by East China Textile Engineering Institute,Textile Industry Bureau of Shanghai,Jinshan Shanghai Petrochemical Complex and Government of Putuo District,Shanghai.

In 1984,being approved by Shanghai Government,the Branch of East China Institute of Chemical Technology was merged into the Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering,Shanghai Jiao Tong University.

In 1985,being approved by Ministry of Education of China,the Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering,Shanghai Jiao Tong University merged with the Branch of East China Institute of Textile Engineering,thus formed Shanghai University of Engineering Science (SUES).

On July 5th,1986,Mr.Jiang Zemin,Mayor of Shanghai at that time,addressed at the inaugural meeting of SUES and noted the inscription of "foster engineering and managing talents to promote the development of Shanghai".

In 2003,Shanghai Senior Technical School,which was established in 1951,was merged into SUES with the approval of Shanghai Government.

In 2002,Shanghai Municipal Committee of CPC and Shanghai Government directed that SUES built a new campus in Songjiang University Town.

In 2003,the first phase of SUES's new campus was completed and then came into service.

In 2005,SUES moved in Songjiang University Town.Thus,SUES's Songjiang new campus was fully put into use.